Re: [Exim] string_sprintf expansion was longer than 8192

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] string_sprintf expansion was longer than 8192
Hi Alan, on Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:56:12 +0100 (BST) you wrote:

> Situation: exim 4.10 with spamassassin

...and SA-Exim, if I'm not mistaken.

> The paniclog is showing fairly regular incidences of reports like:
> 2002-09-29 20:13:47 17vjVi-0000pc-00 string_sprintf expansion was
> longer than 8192

I think this is because SpamAssassin is outputting more than 8k of header
(probably some quality spam with a score of 50 or something). Check this,
from the INSTALL file of SA-Exim:

> You probably also want to edit exim/src/config.h.defaults
> #define STRING_SPRINTF_BUFFER_SIZE 32768
> The default value is a bit too small for some of the strings that we
> need to expand from SA.
> Mmmh, that doesn't seem to be enough, exim then complaints that the
> headers
> it tries to add are too big even after I set "uschar buffer[32768];" in
> src/header.c.
> Suggestions welcome, but I'm also telling the SA guys that they
> shouldn't be outputting more than 8KB of headers.

That seems a bit inconclusive; perhaps Marc will tell us if he's figured
out what it is you need to do to get Exim to allow >8k string expansions.
(and if not, perhaps Philip can shed some light...)

I have to say I left it alone, and I don't seem to have hit the 8192 limit
yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time, so I'd like to know too :)

Tim