[Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid sender…

Autor: Toralf Lund
A: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: [Exim] Frozen delivery failure notifications (invalid sender) - again
I have mentioned this before, but...

The mail queue on our main MX keeps filling up with entries of the form:

59m  3.4K 17tRfs-00vg6d-00 <> *** frozen ***
           users002@???

Closer inspection shows that the corresponding message is a delivery
failure report from some mail server. The messages are frozen because
there is no such user here. I'm fairly sure that the original message did
not originate on our network, i.e. someone outside our company must be
faking the sender address.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have any idea about how I can figure out what where the
failed messages actually come from.
2. Has anyone seen anything similar? Note that the address is always the
same (users002@???)
3. Is there a simple way to block the error reports? (If all else fails;
these messages themselves
represent a problem as they fill up the spool area and also make it hard
to spot real problems.)

--
Toralf Lund <toralf@???>