Re: [Exim] Multiple transport / Spamassassin

Autor: David
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Multiple transport / Spamassassin
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 06:14:25PM +0200, Sebastien J. Gross wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I searched the internet for interfacing exim with spamassassin.
> I found some useful stuffs[1] but not the one I need.
>
> That way to interface Exim/SpamAssassin crashes on my mailer (which is
> a quite small machine - P166 - 32Mb RAM, for a home-use), because of
> multiple exim calls in the delivery process (mainly the command:
> /usr/local/exim/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS)

In your exim.conf, what do you have the
"smtp_accept_queue_per_connection" set at? I have a somewhat similar
system, P166 w/80Mb. The original setup had this option set at 100, and
I'd wind up with a lot of timeouts on the pipe delivery process, with
the system losing the message and sending a 5xx permanent error back to
the sender. After trying several settings, I reduced the above option
to 50 and now it seems to work quite well. With your RAM, you might
even have to go lower than 50, although right now, I feel that I could
go a little higher. Originally, on fetching mail, my system would begin
heavily using swap, getting to the point that even the keyboard was
unusable. One other thing, what I'm doing now, is that whenever I
expect a lot of mail, to be sure I don't have X running, allowing more
free memory and reducing the necessity of using much swap.

Also in exim.conf, there are some additional "smtp_accept???" options,
but this one seemed to do the trick.