[Exim] Newbie question: SMTP AUTH vs. POP AUTH

Author: Niclas Söderlund
To: exim-users
CC: niclas
Subject: [Exim] Newbie question: SMTP AUTH vs. POP AUTH
Hiya ppl..please dont kill me.

Im serious, dont, Im a guy trying to develop my own site for the first time
in my life and Ive come to this part now, e-mail and its do's and dont's.

Everyone has recommended exim so here I am. Ive been reading posts from the
archives already, also checking out the 30 or so example configs that i
found on the resourceside but still I cant get things to work as I want..

Now, heres the setup and the vision I have:

* Debian 3.0 release 0
* Exim 3.3.5 (?)

What I want is to EITHER make a POP-connection FIRST before I get to send
an email thru SMTP to any domain I wish (full relay) - OR have some kind of
SMTP authentication that allows me to do the same. In either case, I want a
full DENY to send email to other domains then those locally (i.e in
"local_domains").

Doable? I tried to follow example configuration C034 in the config-package
you can download from the exim.org but It didnt work. Or I did something
wrong, or something in the config is still wrong.

Anyone up to spend a few with me trying to sort it out would be very very
appreciated and up for a coold beer when its over, on me of course..

Im willing to let someone I feel can be trusted into the system aswell if
it comes to that. I desperately need this going this weekend.

Regards and TIA,

Niclas

|_|_|_|_| Niclas Söderlund
|_|_|_|_| Project Consultant
|_|_|_|_| TechTrade International AB
|_|_|_|_| "Musa sapientum fixa est in aure"
|_|_|_|_|-------------------------------------------
This email is intended solely for the addressee and
is strictly confidential. If you have received this
email in error(!please notify us!) then permanently
delete it. We make every effort to keep our network
free from viruses, but you should check this e-mail
and any attachments to it for viruses, as we cannot
accept any liability for viruses transmitted by us. If
this message was of a private nature, It only trans-
mitts the view of the single private person and not
the company as such.