Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem

Author: Russell Wilton
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail Forwarding problem
Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Russell Wilton wrote:
>
>>When a local user "A" sends mail to another local user "B", and "B" has
>>set an invalid forwarding address, "A" gets a bounce message saying that
>>"B" doesn't exist, with no mention of the bad forwarding address.
>>

>I guess I need to know more about the hosts involved. In the example
>above, the control of the wording is with the polaris.netsrv.uleth.ca
>host. If it's an Exim 4 host, the wording will be in the ACL.

I did some further experimenting and I think I figured out what is going
on. The problem is due to the interaction of the default acl_check_rcpt
section for local addresses:

accept  domains       = +local_domain
        endpass
        message       = unknown user
        verify        = recipient

and my simple forwarding router:

userforward:
driver = redirect
data = ${FORWARD {$value} fail}
check_ancestor

The ACL specifies verifying the recipient, which is fine for local
users, but if a user has set a forwarding address with an invalid
domain, the verify pass fails and the sender gets a bounce message
saying "unknown user" even though it's the forwarding address that is
the problem, not the username.

I should either change the message in the ACL to be "Unknown user OR
Invalid forwarding address", or I should simply set "no_verfiy" on my
userforward router, in which case the message will be accepted by the
ACL and then bounced later when delivery to the invalid domain is
attempted. I'm not sure which is the best approach. Do people normally
set 'no_verify' on their forward router?

Russ

--
Russell D. Wilton                     E Mail: WILTON@???
Network Services Manager              Voice:   (403) 329-2525