Re: [Exim] Using nis/ldap in a reliable fashion (i.e. withou…

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Using nis/ldap in a reliable fashion (i.e. without losing mail)
Marc MERLIN wrote:

>>How about a router like this?
>>It must be added BEFORE any local router
>>
>>check_nis:
>> driver = redirect
>> data = ${lookup {$local_part} nis {passwd}{}}
>>
>>How it works?
>>If your nis-server is reachable, it will just decline (don't produce any
>>new address). If the nis-server is down, the router would defer, this
>>means, an incoming message would be temp-rejected (if you use receiver
>>verification), if a queue-message is going to be delivered, it would
>>requeue the message, because of the defer. This one should not be very
>>expensive in usage and it maybe warms up the nscd-cache for the user entry.
>
> Mmmh, that's interesting too. Quite a nice hack :-)
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:44:16AM +0200, Nico Erfurth wrote:
>
>>Nico Erfurth wrote> Just an addition, with this router you can use the normal
>>check_local_user inside of the other routers. This setup is not 100%
>>reliable but it should be around 99.9999999% ;)
>
> Right, I understood that. The nis server could go down right after the
> router suceeded. But if you use nscd, this shouldn't quite be a problem.
> I like that solution :-)

At least it should protect you for the most cases.

> (although Miquel's route is better in the long run and for the general
> versatility of exim)

The only thing i'm REALLY missing is the posibility to set a home
directory, everything else can be already done, so a home_directory
directive would be enough i would say.

ciao