[Exim] Re: BITD: feedback on potential new exim graphic

Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: BITD: feedback on potential new exim graphic
I've already expressed a positive opinion on one of the graphics presented so far.
I also happen to like the other major competitor, but not as much. Purely
personal taste. Kudos to all parties who were willing to put pixels to screen!
Bravo!

OK, now I'd like to ask a serious question about the graphics... For a given
"size," which graphic compresses better as a .GIF or .PNG (or whatever... heck,
let's ask with respect to the "best" compression technique for each one - a
statement on which format is best for each, and why, would also be nice).

By "size," I mean the raw (uncompressed) width times height (pixels).

By "compressed size," I mean number of bytes in compressed form.

The "compression ratio" is hereby defined as the latter divided by the former.

Why all this, you may ask? Because I actually care how many bytes get shipped
across the internet everytime someone looks at the graphic. Bandwidth costs
money. I have no doubt that the people on this list understand this concern,
given how much we all dislike the concept of "spamming" (= stealing our
bandwidth).

How's that for combining emotion with logic in one fell... err... swish. ;)

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.

p.s. - Another consideration would be: Which graphic looks better when converted
to hardcopy? It's one thing to put up something that looks great on screen; quite
another to make it look good in hardcopy... Especially if printing cost is a
concern. To be honest, I am more interested in the contents of Philip's book,
than in how pretty the cover is. Let's not drive up the cost unnecessarily!

p.p.s - in modified topic: "BITD" = "Beat It To Death"