Re: [Exim] Exim4: dynamic lookup list - how?

Autor: John Horne
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim4: dynamic lookup list - how?
On 17-Sep-2002 at 15:48:21 Steve Haslam wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 03:54:42PM +0100, John Horne wrote:
>> Example:
>> Lookup file for domain 'example.com' contains:
>>
>>     john: jhorne@???
>>     jh: john@???
>>     fred: fred@???
>>     fred.bloggs: fred@???

>> We want the address 'support@???' to send mail to those users in
>> the file with an '@example.com' address( i.e. 'jh' and 'fred.bloggs').
> Well, my solutions would be:
>
> 1. store the aliases in, say, a SQL database to allow several different
> ways to get at the database.

Not really - that would mean I have to install SQL just for this one
solution; too much of an overhead. I'd rather use perl I think :-)

> 2. Compile several indices yourself-- do you already compile your aliases
> to DBM files? If so, then write a script to run through the DBM files (or
> source files), making essentially a new alias file that would contain:

The virtual domain user list is a CDB file (created from a plain text file),
but I get your idea. However, as the subject line said, I want it 'dynamic'.
I don't want to manually (or via cron) run a program, I want exim to go get
the info whenever it needs it.

>> The use of the extract function seemed hopeful, but that seems to only
>> return one entry and we need all the relevant addresses.
>
> Which is essentially option 2., but I think that the lookup could be
> sufficiently expensive that it's worth doing it offline.

I'm not so concerned about 'expense' so long as it's dynamic. Having said
that I'd like to do this without using other software such as SQL or perl,
which impose their own overhead on the lookup.

Thanks for the ideas though, I'll have to think a bit more.

John.

E-mail: jhorne@???