Re: [Exim] user=something gives troubles in redirect router

Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] user=something gives troubles in redirect router
On 09 September 2002, Sven Geggus said:
> I've got some troubles setting up a redirect router which changes its uid
> depending on the file it has to read.

[...router skipped...]
> calling vforward router
> rda_interpret (file): ${extract{vdir}{$address_data}}/$local_part-forward
> expanded: /home/sven/.vmail-geggus/dummy-forward
> LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
> unable to set gid=1001 or uid=1001 (euid=8): vforward router (recipient is
> dummy@???)
> search_tidyup called
> LOG: MAIN PANIC
> internal problem in vforward router (recipient is dummy@???): failure
> to transfer data from subprocess
> vforward router: defer for dummy@???
> message: internal problem in vforward router (recipient is dummy@???):
> failure to transfer data from subprocess

I think your problem stems from the fact that Exim cannot change UID
while it is verifying addresses. (It has already given up privilege,
and doesn't fork children for mere verification.) I had a similar
problem; the workaround in my case was to add no_verify to the existing
router, and then add a second router that's used only for verification
(set verify_only). The second router needs to accept a superset of the
addresses accepted by the existing router; ideally, the two routers will
accept exactly the same addresses. This may or may not be possible
depending on your situation.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@???>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
No animals were harmed in transmitting this message.