Re: [Exim] exim 3.36 error, what does it mean?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alan Thew
CC: Exim List
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] exim 3.36 error, what does it mean?
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim 3.36 error, what does it mean?
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Alan Thew wrote:

> Seen it a very few times. It happens once and then everything is OK...

This is now understood, and I've made some changes for 4.11 which should
improve things.

Executive summary: Exim delivers a message successfully, notices that
there is another message waiting for the same host, so starts a new
delivery process, passing it the SMTP connection. The new process routes
the addresses in the new message - but there's a delay on one or more of
them (DNS timing out, typically). By the time Exim comes to try to use
the SMTP connection, the server has timed out.