Re: [Exim] Bug? Missing "FROM" address in SMTP communication…

Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Steven Christensen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Bug? Missing "FROM" address in SMTP communication...
On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 11:24:24PM -0400, Steven Christensen wrote:
> Hmm... that's interesting. If this is a standard (and I did indeed
> find it in RFC 2421), then it looks like BellSouth is doing something
> non-standard. They are rejecting DSN/NDN messages to their servers.
> Are they allowed to do this (per RFC) ?

No.

> Would there be a reason for this? Does having this enabled leave a
> spam hole others could exploit?

1) to avoid a bounce storm after a bunch of mail was sent with a return
envelope pointed to you (should only really be used as a very last
resort)
2) some misguided attempt to avoid spam (not that it really helps that much
anyway)
3) Users of the stupid X1 ESMTP

I point the affected server admins to
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/nullenvelope.txt
and typically let exim callbacks bounce all their mails until they fix it
(or just bounce all their mails if they don't fix it)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key