Re: [Exim] Exim daemon problem; not closing inherited fds

Autor: Peter Benie
A: exim-users
CC:
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim daemon problem; not closing inherited fds
In article <Pine.SOL.4.44.0209022101190.22548-100000@???> you write:
>If I recall correctly, a long time ago Exim did try to close all file
>descriptors. But the only way to do this is along the lines of
>
> for (i = 0; i < max; i++) close(i);
>
>When people ran it on operating systems with very many potential fds, it
>took far too long to start up. So nowadays it just closes 0, 1, and 2.
>
>If anybody can find a convenient, fast, and portable way to close all
>open descriptors, please tell me about it.

You do it by avoiding the problem in the first place. If exim starts
from the init scripts, there is no problem. To start it from the
command line: (please have your Unix barf bag ready)

echo '/usr/sbin/exim -bd' | at now

This have the advantage that you have your environment and resource
limits reset too.

Peter