RE: [Exim] a more or less special mail solution

Página Inicial
Autor: Bernard Stern
Para: exim-users
Assunto: RE: [Exim] a more or less special mail solution
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:28:27 +0200 p.schoenfeld@??? wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm currently searching for a more or less special mail solution
> i can't find a reasonable howto for.
> Maybe you can give me some hints in getting the wanted mail solution up
> and running,
> that would be really nice.
> Maybe parts of this has been discussed many times in this list but on my
> search
> i couldn't find much that helps so please don't worry.

> The Mail solution i'm searching for:

> - SMTP & POP3 auth via MD5
> - Multi-Domain; I wanna have more than one domain and i want to apply domains
> to users
> e.g. user xy has email xy@domain1 but not xy@domain2
> - Users and Passwords seperated from the system users/passes (no use of
> users in /etc/passwd)
> I should be able to create a mail-only user xy who can login to his mailbox
> via pop3 and send mails
> via smtp but is NO existing user in the system for normal logins etc.
> Passwords for the mailsystem should be saved encrypted
> - Want to run a mailinglistserver from lists.domainxy
> - Local users should anyway be able to send & receive mails without authentification
> with a default domain
> or a domain individual set for an user by the mail administrator

> I think there should be much possibilities to realise that,
> but i can't find out how and which software i should use -
> exim as MTA yeah but what should i use as pop3-daemon?

> Thanks for any help
> -Patrick Schoenfeld

Although you already got a lot of replys over the week-end, here is
my suggestion:

- SMTP you do with exim (any other reason why you're on this list ;-))
- use cyrus-imapd for IMAP and POP; then you can setup your users
with a sasldb, no unix users, no logins, just username/password.
the whole cyrus-imapd package is not a piece of cake to install
and run, but it does just what you want.
- I'm using mailman for mailing lists, but the current stable
release does not support virtual domains (last time I checked
the mailman home page at least). If you do need virtual domain
mailing lists, you might give a try to sympa, I believe it
supports virtual domains.

But, as you say, there are an awful lot of combinations to do what
you want.

HTH,

Bernard Stern, SWITCH