Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: hosts_max_try

Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: hosts_max_try
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:52:31AM +0100,
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> is thought to have said:

> Value for money! I will keep your proposal for possible future thought.
> In the meantime, what I have actually done is to make a small change for
> 4.11. If the hosts_max_try limit is reached, and there are still more
> hosts with less preferable MX values, try one IP address for each of
> them.

Where them = the less preferable MX values? Why then only try one? To me the
goal of my mail servers is to get mail off of my queue and onto a MX for
that domain as quickly as possible. To me that means trying as many MX hosts as
possible.

So if example.com has 10 unique IPs at MX 1, 10 at MX 2, and 10 at MX 3 and
my hosts_max_try is set to, say, 5 then I'd expect it to try 5 hosts at MX1,
if all fail then try 5 at MX2, if all of those fail then try 5 at MX3.
Not 5, 1, and 1. Or perhaps there needs to be another option
hosts_max_try_per_mx? :)

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality