Re: [Exim] smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: William Craven
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, William Craven wrote:

> > The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> > opt-in@???: smtp transport process returned
> > non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1
>
> I am not sure what this is telling me - the appropriate msglog file
> says...

I'm not sure either. There is no code in Exim that returns a value of 1
from a transport process. If it had crashed, it should have given a
different return value.

> 2002-08-29 07:42:27 SMTP timeout while connected to
> mtsbp024.naviantnetwork.net
> [64.251.21.24] after initial connection: Connection timed out
> 2002-08-29 07:42:27 opt-in@??? R=dns T=smtp
> defer (145):
> Connection timed out: SMTP timeout while connected to
> mtsbp024.naviantnetwork.n
> et [64.251.21.24] after initial connection
> 2002-08-29 08:34:26 opt-in@??? R=dns T=smtp
> defer (-1):
> smtp transport process returned non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1
> *** Frozen

The first failure happened at 07:42:27. I'm surprised not to see a "=="
log line for the message following those entries. Was there one?

The surprising entry happened at 08:34:26, which I assume was a
different delivery attempt. What is your configuration? Is is pretty
standard?

> However, when I force delivery of the message it establishes connection
> and delivers.

At the moment, I get a timeout when trying to connect to 64.251.21.24.

Are you seeing lots of these? Does a forced delivery always work?