Re: [Exim] Trailing Newlines

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: William Craven
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Trailing Newlines
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, William Craven wrote:

> > The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> > briellehmtcfawwcbd@???: SMTP error from remote mailer after end
> > of data: host mx1.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.130.17]: 552 Put ,E=\r\n at
> > the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you are using
> > Solaris 2.5 (fixed in 2.5.1). I cannot accept messages with stray
> > newlines. Many SMTP servers will time out waiting for \r\n.\r\n.
>
> On investigating the bounce message in question there is indeed trailing
> newlines but it is from the original message. Is there are way that we
> can configure Exim (in this case 4.10) to strip trailing newlines before
> submiting?

There shouldn't be any problems with messages that happen to have blank
lines on the end. Exim should not send "stray newlines". That isn't to
say that there may not be a bug in Exim. To check this out, you'd have
to do a network trace on the sending of such a message to be absolutely
sure of exactly what Exim sends. An ending sequence such as

xxxxx\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n.\r\n

is perfectly legal.