Re: [Exim] changing from exim3 to exim4

Página Inicial
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] changing from exim3 to exim4
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I have been running through a lot of "exim -C newconfig -d -bt" tests
> to see that I get the same as before and have noticed a difference. I
> have a router (used to be a director) which does a data = <lookup
> username for this local_part> and has no_more set. For non-existent
> local_parts the no_more made it skip to the end of the directors and
> fail with 'unknown local-part "xxxxx" in domain "ex.ac.uk"'. With
> exim4 I now get 'Unroutable address' as the failure. If this means
> that the end-user is going to get a non-delivery report with that
> explanation then I am not at all happy. The latter message is very
> misleading because I would expect people to interpret it as unroutable
> in networking terms, which is not the problem at all.
>
> How do I get back to the 'unknown local_part' type of failure?

For myself, I don't think a non-technical person would immediately think
in networking terms, but you never know. The problem is that, although
English has so many words, we still tend to overload them. The other
ambiguous word is "address", of course.

The following item is on the Wish List:

(76) 24-Jul-02 M A way of changing the "unrouteable address" message

This applies not only when Exim runs out of routers, but also if it is stopped
by no_more. Perhaps a generic option "fail_message", and the one from the last
encountered router is used?

In the meantime, you have got to use :fail: in a redirect router. If you
can do it within the same one, that's neat. In your case you can,
because you have no_more set. For those that want to change the message
after, say, an accept+check_local_user router, an extra router is
needed.

Note, however, that this message will go to end users only for addresses
in locally received messages. For messages coming in via SMTP, if you
are verifying recipients (which is the default), the message can be
overridden by the "message" setting in the ACL, and the default ACL does
indeed say "unknown user".