Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: hosts_max_try

Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: hosts_max_try
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:35:40AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
[...]
> 1. Very simple. Make hosts_max_try apply *per MX value*. So it would try
> up to 5 at MX=1 and up to 5 at MX=5 in the yahoo case, with no change in
> the aol case.
>
> Personally, I'm leaning towards (1) because it is simple. All the others
> would be tricky to implement and explain.

It would also seem to me to be the most obvious route. If it's not going to
apply across all the MXs, then making it apply per preference level is what
would seem to be sensible. It's almost certainly not true that people
choose MX cost values in the same way, some 0/10/20, some 10/20/30, some
1/4/5, so trying to split it based on that seems not only complicated, but
potentially prone to misunderstandings. The keeping track of hostnames may
be a way to do it, but even that is quite hard to follow.

In short, go with what you feel is right.

My tuppence.

MBM