Re: [Exim] Building exim-4.10 for OSX 10.2 / Darwin 6.0

Author: Christopher M Smith
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Building exim-4.10 for OSX 10.2 / Darwin 6.0
On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 04:34 AM, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Christopher M. Smith wrote:
>
>> easily fixed by adding #define NO_IP_VAR_H to the OS/os.h-Darwin
>> header file.
>
> Would this also work for other versions of Darwin? Or am I going to
> have
> to set up different OS files for different releases? Are there any
> experts out there?

A few of the folks at work have 10.1 still installed (Darwin 5.0), and
it
has the netinet/ip_var.h header file. So this would have to be
different.

>> I also modified the CC variable set in OS/Makefile-Darwin to use gcc
>> instead
>> of cc.
>
> That is a change you can make in Local/Makefile. No need to modify the
> OS file.

True, I was just trying to be consistent with what I saw in the
codebase.
I mean, it may not be necessary to change as that it was pointed out
earlier that cc is simply linked to gcc for backwards compatibility
reasons.

>> smtp_in.c: In function `smtp_start_session':
>> smtp_in.c:1059: storage size of `ipoptblock' isn't known
>> smtp_in.c:1105: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
>> smtp_in.c:1137: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
>
> Surprise, surprise, the structure for ipoptblock is usually defined in
> /usr/include/netinet/ip_var.h.
>
> You can cut out all the IP options processing by setting
>
> #define NO_IP_OPTIONS
>
> in OS/os.h-Darwin. This loses you the check for IP option settings
> (which should not occur), but some OS do this automatically for you. I
> don't know if that is true of Darwin.

I still don't know the answer to this yet, but as that I am not running
a full
blown mail relay and using Exim solely for outbound mail on my laptop,
I am not too worried about this. By defining both the

#define NO_IP_VAR_H
#define NO_IP_OPTIONS

in the header file, the software built fine and is working great.

> Always welcome. Though a straight patch may not make sense unless it
> also works on other versions of Darwin.

Once I have the answer to your IP options question above, I will
post my findings to the list and you can let me know what you'd like
to do and I'll post whatever is appropriate.

Thanks again for your help Philip!

CMS