Re: [Exim] Exchange looming..

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: John (TJ) Penton
Para: Rob Lingelbach
CC: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exchange looming..
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here in exim-users can present to me a
> cogent argument against the potential implementation, which I
> face soon in my department, of Microsoft Exchange Server. I've
> collected some notes over the years of instances where Exchange
> returns inscrutable error messages and the like, but I'm not sure
> if these problems have been fixed.. I assume part of an argument
> against MES is that it forces the use of other Microsoft
> products.

Exim _may_ be a better MTA (better supported, cheaper, faster? - I'm not
really qualified to discuss this), but it does not provide any groupware
functions. I know some places use both - Exim for back-end mail handling
and Exchange to support the mailboxes and groupware functions. This
enables you to have non-Outlook mail users and a lot of the advantages of
Exim (do your virus/spam scanning on it?), plus the groupware functions of
Exchange. It costs a little more - but not much more than Exchange alone
(Exim itself is free and it requires a relatively low-power machine
compared to Exchange).

Just my 2p.

John

--
"This is a trap for Poohs, and I'm waiting to fall in it, ho-ho, what's
all this, and then I say ho-ho again."