Re: [Exim] Exchange looming..

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mike Richardson
A: Jeffrey C. Ollie
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Exchange looming..
> > For such reasons, if the management here did not insist on the
> > calendaring stuff, and that it be through Outlook, I would not recommend
> > Exchange.
>
> I'd semi-agree. Novell has a plug in for Outlook that will let it
> access a Groupwise system. But getting someone to buy into a Novell
> solution just to get Groupwise would be difficult.

Samsung Contact is an integrated email and calendaring system based on
HP OpenMail and Steltor's CorporateTime. It has a web client (which looks
very pretty - important for management demos) and Outlook connectivity.
Samsung will happily demonstrate that the TCO is much less than Exchange.

We tested a system based on CorporateTime (which has an Outlook plugin)
using Courier IMAP and Exim (using auth smtp) and it worked really well.

From a non-outlook perspective you get a calendar system (CorporateTime)
with its own client (which is better featured than Outlook's calendar),
an IMAP server and an SMTP server.

From an outlook perspective CT has a plugin which works the same way
as Exchange's. Then you configure CT with IMAP and SMTP server and to
Outlook it all appears as one system.

CT has its own web client so you can pick your own IMAP web client and
if its a half decent one you should be able to 'portalise' them.

Cost of CT is quite high but still cheaper than Exchange. CT is *very*
scalable (Steltor claims 'millions'), unlike Exchange.

CT also has clients for the common OSes, Palms, WAP and others. I
believe its a viable alternative to Exchange, especially to people who
have not used Exchange.

Mike
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing