[Exim] Obscure behavior with deferred delivery and pgsql loo…

Author: David Jericho
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Obscure behavior with deferred delivery and pgsql lookup
I was doing some tests on some testbed gear, and decided to hammer the
MTA with email to be delivered.

In the testbed I've got an accept router doing a check against a pgsql
table, and I'm having the problem

2002-08-27 14:14:23 17jXS4-0006pq-03 failed to expand "${lookup
    pgsql{select domain from local_domains where domain =
    '$domain'}{$value}}" while checking a list: lookup of "select
    domain from local_domains where domain = 'bytecomm.com.au'"
    gave DEFER: PGSQL: query failed: server closed the connection
    unexpectedly This probably means the server terminated abnormally
    before or while processing the request.

I can't get a series of messages out of the queue because of this
error, but now that the load has died down on the machine, I can send
new messages through with no problem. The old queued messages won't
leave the queue.

The accept condition is
    domains =  ${lookup pgsql{select domain from local_domains \
                        where domain = '$domain'}{$value}}

Have I missed something really quite obvious?

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd