Re: [Exim] Should I allow "MAILER-DAEMON@" as a sender witho…

Autor: Ralf G. R. Bergs
A: exim-users@exim.org
CC: Dave C.
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Should I allow "MAILER-DAEMON@" as a sender without verification?
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:26:58 -0400 (EDT), Dave C. wrote:

[...]
>> I just noticed that some auto-reply was blocked by Exim 4.1 because the

sender
>> mailbox isn't accepted on the sender's MX:
>>
>> sender verify fail for <MAILER-DAEMON@???>: response

>>     "RCPT TO:<MAILER-DAEMON@???>" from fw-btv-

rz.bayernoil.de
>>     [62.153.86.59] was 550 Mailbox unavailable: This site may not be used

as a
>>     relay agent.

>> Should I always accept senders of MAILER-DAEMON@ without verifying that

they
>> really exist, or can one say that the sender's MX is broken if it doesn't

accept
>> mail to MAILER-DAEMON@ and thus I should NOT change my Exim configuration?

Any
>> pointers to some relevant RFC?
>
>Bounce messages should not have <MAILER-DAEMON@wherever> as their sender

The original message WASN'T a bounce message -- it was a vacation auto-reply.

>address. If you are verifying headers, then perhaps you should consider
>allowing MAILER-DAEMON@anydomain as valid.

Do I understand you correctly that you are suggesting I ALWAYS accept messages
from MAILER-DAEMON@anydomain without verification?

>If this site wants to send mail with an envelope sender of
><MAILER-DAEMON@theirdom>, then they have to be prepared to accept a
>bounce message in return to that address (where exim will properly use
><> as the env sender), if that message was underliverable at your site.

And that means what in my case?

Thanks for commenting on my problem,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\