Re: [Exim] Pruning Forward Headers

Author: Carolyn Longfoot
To: robl, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Pruning Forward Headers
>just strip the headers previously to the exim box. Or you could strip the
>client headers (which probably won't have much bearing on server mailloops)

Here's what I did. Just added headers_received into the standard dnslookup
router (there is an router before this one to catch inbound messages) like
so:
dnslookup:
driver = dnslookup
domains = ! +local_domains
transport = remote_smtp
ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
headers_remove = Received
no_more

Could not be simpler, I just achieved in two days with minimal effort (that
includes setting up Exim from scratch for the first time ever) what is near
impossible to do in you-know-what (we do not speak it's name :-)

I'll be singing praise to Exim, its helpful users and the EXCELLENT
documentation henceforth.

>It is usually fairly easy to discover an organization's internal IP
>address range though, using strategies such as bounce messages etc.
>Which cause a nice failure message to go back and blab what the internal IP
>addresses are.

Good point. I'll try to mitigate this by setting up a dummy user that
absorbs all invalid addresses like a black hole ;-)
Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Caro