Re: [Exim] Syntactically invalid hostname

Autor: Dave C.
A: Yann Le Guennec
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Syntactically invalid hostname
On 22 Aug 2002, Yann Le Guennec wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have those messages from time to time :
>
> 2002-08-22 09:08:05 rejected EHLO from [62.115.227.131]: syntactically
> invalid argument(s): gbc_ex001.gainsbc.co.uk

I get these too. I consider it an intelligence threshold for the
privilege of sending mail to my server. I have no desire to receive mail
from sites whose admins not clueful enough to give their mail servers
legal hostnames.

> The incoming message gets rejected.
>
> I guess that's because of the underscore. Unfortunately, I cannot force
> people to change their naming. Is there an option in Exim 4.04 to ignore
> those errors and accept the message ?

They can choose to either use legal hostnames and be able to send mail,
or use underscores and not be able to do so. You don't need to force
them to do anything.

Its like driving on the road. One can choose to drive on the correct
side of the road (Right for me, left for you folks on the other side of
the pond), and have a good chance of geting where you are going, or
drive on the wrong side, and collide with incoming traffic, probably get
ticketed or arrested, and maybe even get injured or killed.

Underscores in hostnames are like driving on the wrong side of the road.
(In nature only, not degree - obviously no one is likely to get killed
or arrested for having an underscore)