Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users, Paul Wilson, Chris Edwards
Asunto: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, David Woodhouse wrote:

> If you're going to try to send mail, you MUST use EHLO first (§4.1.4):
>
>    A session that will contain mail transactions MUST first be
>    initialized by the use of the EHLO command.  An SMTP server SHOULD
>    accept commands for non-mail transactions (e.g., VRFY or EXPN)
>    without this initialization.

Oops. Mea culpa.

OK, I see that even 821 says "The first command in a session must be a
HELO command". But it is clear that in practice, MTAs haven't actually
enforced this (see other postings in this thread).

I don't want to change Exim's default. For a start, it would break all
my hundreds of tests scripts. :-)

But, in addition to the proposed handling of rejected EHLOs, I could
also add helo_required=yes as a new option. This would be weaker than
helo_verify_hosts=* in that it would not do verification.