Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check
[ On Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 14:48:55 (+0100), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] HELO syntax check
>
> I guess I was "being liberal in what I accepted" when I coded Exim so as
> not to require HELO before accepting a message. This was copied from
> Smail, IIRC.

Possibly, but smail's been rejecting "MAIL FROM:" after a bad HELO/EHLO
by default for a very long time now (mid-1997) (though only recently
have the syntax checks actually become significantly complete -- there
main check has been to verify the source address matches the right-hand
value of any DNS A RR for the hostname, or the value of a domain literal
interpreted as an IP address). Many people who couldn't seem to see
past the end of their own noses at the time the feature was first
introduced are now (or at least were for some time) Exim users
apparently only because the checks were enabled by default. (I can't
believe any of them were too incompetent to change the setting if they
didn't want to enable the checks -- I'm sure most could even have
changed the default setting when they compiled the code if that had been
their desire since it's never actually been hard-coded.... :-)

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>