Re: [Exim] feature request: AUTH EXTERNAL (RFC2222 sec 7.4)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Matt Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] feature request: AUTH EXTERNAL (RFC2222 sec 7.4)
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Matt Bernstein wrote:

> I know it's easy to use the ACLs to relay for verified certificates, but
> the nicest way I can think of logging that that's why we relayed is
> "P=asmtp A=external:my.CN"..
>
> What do you think? Is it difficult to implement? Worth the bother?

At a glance, it seems pretty trivial to implement. Indeed, I think it
may involve no work on the Exim code at all. That's the kind of
development I *really* like. :-)

My guess (though I haven't worked it through) is that you could
configure Exim's plaintext authenticator to do this for you. It can
handle any number of data items (in this case 1), and it can test for
whether the session is encrypted or not.