Re: [Exim] Grouping allowed in system filter pcre?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Grouping allowed in system filter pcre?
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, John Horne wrote:

> Yes it is allowed (we use it - exim4.10). However I too had a problem with
> '(' some time ago. I think the solution was to put the expression in
> double-quotes; it then worked fine. However, you have to double up '\',
> escape dollar signs etc etc :-) Is this a bug? Not sure I reported the
> problem to the list.

No, it is not a bug. It is documented:

There are two ways in which a data value can be input:

 .   If the text contains no white space then it can be typed verbatim.
     However, if it is part of a condition, it must also be free of round
     brackets (parentheses), as these are used for grouping in conditions.

 .   Otherwise it must be enclosed in double quotation marks. In this case,
     the character \ (backslash) is treated as an 'escape character' ....

... er, and you don't have to escape dollar signs just because you put
the string in quotes. Just the backslashes.