[Exim] Problem e-mail

Autor: Leonardo Boselli
A: Yann Golanski
CC: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re: [Exim] Shared Spool Dir
Assumpte: [Exim] Problem e-mail
On 14 Aug 2002, at 8:44, Yann Golanski wrote:
> If you are running a large scale system -- which with seven servers
> you maybe -- then read the paper I wrote on the subject as it may give
> you a clue as to how to do it: www.kierun.org/academic/

I read the article and saw that it mention "problem e-mail"
I know what is, for example a message that does not found its way
to go. (unfortunately such message foor 99% are bopunces of
spam and viruses, but due the 1% valid i cannot throw them away).
Doses you -or some other person- know what is the way too
configure exim to:
   - if (can send immediately)
            then send it ;
     else (if the message is in the queue for less than one hour)
            then retry ;
     else (if the message has a valid from address )
            then pass to another host;
            /* so the queue ios kept low, the other host does not have
                 need for real time and can have te queue running at
                  very slow pace */
      else /* the message is waiting from  ore then 60' _and_ is a
                bounce */
              trash it ....

This would avoid havbing a significat percentage of time the
machine trying to send mail to addresses that does not reply !

an improvement could be to have a list of known domain, so the
timeout could be different for certain domains (for example if mail
has to be sent to another host for wich we are secondary MX, if it
does not accept it is better to fix it, rather than sending the mail
away -it will come back soon)
Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile