Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: erroneous "all relevant MX records poi…

Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: erroneous "all relevant MX records point..."
This shouldn't be on exim-users, but:

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:58:33AM +0200, Jan Johansson wrote:
> > To my knowledge it's a violation of certain
> > applicable RFC's NOT to return an ICMP echo request
> Uhm, no. Hosts are definitely not required to return anything. It's
> recommended, but not required.

| 1122 Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers. R.
|      Braden, Ed.. October 1989. (Format: TXT=295992 bytes) (Also STD0003)

S.3.2.2.6 (Page 42)
|          3.2.2.6  Echo Request/Reply: RFC-792

|             Every host MUST implement an ICMP Echo server function that
|             receives Echo Requests and sends corresponding Echo Replies.
|             A host SHOULD also implement an application-layer interface
|             for sending an Echo Request and receiving an Echo Reply, for
|             diagnostic purposes.

|             An ICMP Echo Request destined to an IP broadcast or IP
|             multicast address MAY be silently discarded.

So, uhm, no. Hosts *are* definitely required to return something. It's
required, you see the "MUST" in the first line of the quoted section?

But this is entirely irrelevant to Ralf's problem.

MBM