[Exim] viewing the queue on remote machines

Autor: Steve Haslam
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] viewing the queue on remote machines
This is a project I'm returning to after a long hiatus-- to be able to
easily collect together queue information from N different machines--
currently, you can paste things up by running "ssh $machine mailq", but
really what I'm heading for is to have something like eximon that
transparently shows you messages on all the machines rather than having to
run eximon itself on mail servers.

so if someone else has already written this, I'd like to know :) but apart
from that, I've grabbed the old queue scanner I wrote from the previous
incarnation of this project, shifted it across from C++/STL to C/glib and
made a utility called "exiq" that does what "mailq" does, but adds extra
information-- notably, it tries to find what the last error on a message was
by hunting through the msglog files, which I always ended up doing by hand.
Apart from that, the output is quite messy, but then it's really just
intended to be a demo-- the next stage will be to get it so you can say
"exiq $machine", and then "exiq $machine1 $machine2 ...". Instead of writing
my serialisation and transport myself from scrtach this time, I'll reuse
something else though-- probably SOAP or somesuch.

Anyway, I dropped a tarball into http://araqnid.ddts.net/~steve/exim-app/ if
anyone else is interested in looking at the code (I guess the queue scanner
routine could be used for other things too if you want). Heck, you might
even find exiq worth it on its own.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@???