著者: Joachim Wieland
To: Chris Knipe
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Some questions
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 04:24:54PM +0200, Chris Knipe wrote:
> Then, I want to know what the proper way is for managing and setting up a
> backup mail server? (Higher priority MX records, etc).

Normally you set up several mail servers with different MX records. The
secondary mailservers can do parts of the job of the first server as
well, bounce messages, process forwards, etc. Then you add a manualroute
router for the domains that only the first mailserver can handle to the
configuration of the second.

If the first server goes down, mailservers from the net will contact
your secondary MX, it handles as much as it can and queues mails for the
first server until it can be reached again. It will recognize that the
first server is down simply by being unable to reach it. Where's the
problem?

> In a exim -d9 -bt some@address, exim checks local_domains, does not
> find the domain in local_domains, and hold_domains is never ever
> checked.... Is this right / wrong? If wrong, what should be done to
> fix it... I'd be more than happy to provide the debug output if needed
> - I just want to cut on the length of this message.

What do you want to use hold_domain for in this setup? It is not
necessary to set it if the mail won't go out of the server anyway.

Furthermore it's only logical that exim -bt does not check hold_domains.
If a domain is listed in hold_domains, it won't get delivered by the
normal queue runners, that's easy. The question is: Where would it go if
I don't hold the domain anymore? Or if I explicitly deliver a held
message with exim -M <id>. That's what I'm interested in so I expect
exim -bt not to take hold_domains into account.

Joachim

--
*****PGP key available - send e-mail request***** - ICQ: 37225940
The eagle may soar, but the weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine.