Re: [Exim] Exim 3 multiple Ports

Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim 3 multiple Ports
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 04:24:36PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > I want to have exim listen on more that one port. I want it to listen on
> > port 23 and Port 25. This is to get around services that block port 25.
> > how do I do that?
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec_13.html#IX807
>
> If you set the IP address to be 0.0.0.0 (INADDR_ANY), then it will be
> bound to all interfaces.
>
> MBM
>
> --
> Matthew Byng-Maddick         <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/

But he wants a second port on the same interface. He really needs to upgrade to
Exim 4, which allows multiple port connections to be specified (as well as
multiple interfaces, if desired).

I should point out that there are already a couple of ports reserved for email, in
addition to port 25. Check your /etc/services file for "SMTP" and "mail" to get
an idea. Might as well go with standards, rather than willy-nilly picking random
ports.

I, for one, remain appalled at the idea of hijacking ports. But the ISP
motivation is strong; they are trying to block spammers from abusing ISP
bandwidth. Nevertheless, the ends do not justify the means.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.