Re: [Exim] Debian packages?

Autor: Matthew Palmer
A: Jan Johansson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Debian packages?
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Jan Johansson wrote:

> I would like to create my own Exim-deb to include a few features. Soo, now
> the question is, does someone have some details on how i could use the
> existing source-deb to add these features? And of cource, would i be
> stepping on anyones toes/work if i did that?

A package you create for your own personal use can't be stepping on anyone's
toes, since it's yours. Getting it into Debian main will probably be a bit
of a task, unless you're a developer or convince the Debian maintainer to go
with your ideas.

> My plan is to create a deb that docks with XAMS, sinc ei am startin gto
> like that tool.

Tell me more of XAMS, I am not familiar with it. If I like it (I already
have my own variant of Exim 3.34 (yes, I know it's old, but it works for me)
compiled with various options the standard package doesn't/didn't have) I'll
add it to my exim packages and you could use mine. That is, of course,
assuming you don't want to make your own, which is cool too.

If you do want to make your own, then I'd suggest reading the new maintainer
docs at http://www.debian.org/devel/newmaint and the packaging manual at
http://www.debian.org/devel. Probably the rest of that page is also good
reading.

More info, try subscribing to debian-mentors and/or debian-devel (at
http://lists.debian.org/) and asking questions there.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16