Re: [Exim] Exim builtin

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim builtin
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:08:36 -0400 James wrote:

> Since Exim is up to 4.10 now, and the 4.x series is superior to the 3.x
> series(IMHO simpler to configure, among other things), my recommendation
> would be to use whatever Linux distro you otherwise prefer, uninstall
> Sendmail (if present), then download, compile and install Exim 4.10.
> It's much easier than I thought it would be (it's the first thing I ever
> installed on Linux without an RPM package to hold my hand).

Don't forget that you can get the best of both worlds by using an Exim
spec file to build an RPM from source, which gives you the flexibility of
building from source coupled with the organisation of an RPMified system.

There are a variety of Exim spec files floating around in various places.
One of such places is my website where I maintain a spec file (for both
Exim 3 and 4) and associated bits. (Most of the credit must go to
karl@??? though, since my spec file is based on one originally
done by him, although it has evolved somewhat since then).

The site's at http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/ and I try to keep it fairly up
to date with current releases. If anyone has any comments, finds it useful
or would like to point out anything blatently broken/stupid, feel free to
e-mail me.

Tim