Re: [Exim] Incorrect authentication data

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: John Robinson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Incorrect authentication data
At 15:40 04/08/2002 +0100, Nick wrote:
>I have built Exim with Pam support had to add the line <EXTRALIBS=-lpam>
>in the makefile for it to build
>
>When telnet to server I get
>
>250-SIZE 52428800
>250-PIPELINING
>250-AUTH LOGIN
>250 HELP
>
>Using Eudora to send authenticated mail I get a <relay not permitted>
>and the log says: <535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=nickr)>
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this issue

I didn't know which forms of SMTP AUTH Eudora supported, so I put in LOGIN,
PLAIN and CRAM-MD5. Eudora appears to prefer CRAM-MD5. Perhaps it doesn't
support LOGIN at all? Suggest you try PLAIN and/or CRAM-MD5; I have a vague
recollection that LOGIN is a M$ thing. Anyway both LOGIN and PLAIN send the
password in the clear (effectively); you should use CRAM-MD5 or whatever
else to stop nasty network-sniffing people from picking up your passwords.

Oh, also, it appears in the Eudora I'm used to - 5.1 - you have to use the
same password for both POP and SMTP AUTH within a personality, or to put it
another way, Eudora only ever asks for one password per personality, and
uses it for both mail fetching (POP or whatever) and sending (SMTP AUTH).

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

John.

--
John Robinson                                     Tel +44 7771 784058
  Though my soul may set in darkness / It will rise in perfect light;