[Exim] Incorrect authentication data

Autor: Nick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Incorrect authentication data
Hello all,

I will start by saying I've Just started out with Exim and finding it quite hard work compared to Sendmail
I really want to get the hang of Exim because I believe it's a superior product.

I have built Exim with Pam support had to add the line <EXTRALIBS=-lpam> in the makefile for it to build

When telnet to server I get

250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH LOGIN
250 HELP

Using Eudora to send authenticated mail I get a <relay not permitted>
and the log says: <535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=nickr)>

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this issue

Also I am unable to receive my mail today my sendmail box has crashed big
time during a tape backup :-( and I have no remote power cycle,
can anyone who replies cc to nick.cobra@??? sorry.

Many Thanks,
Nick.