Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:33:55 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
>> What if a new host comes up? Is it considered being down indefinetely?
>
>Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean by "a new host comes up". Do you mean
>a new host is added to the MX?

The new host did not exist previously. A new IP, a new A record, and a
new MX record pointing to the new A record.

>Any host will be considered down from the
>time it first fails. (Roughly. There is a timeout on the retry data.)

And the down time for the host is initialized with zero when the host
first fails?

>> But it did. And $CUSTOMER is not amused since my support colleagues
>> assured them that their mail would be queued until their new MX is up
>> and running.
>
>I'm sorry about that.

No need to be sorry.

>> I will try the same thing with a test domain, hopefully giving results
>> that can lead to a least learn what happened. I don't think that's a
>> bug in exim, but I suspect that there is a problem with our
>> configuration.
>
>Please do run some tests. We need to know what happened here so that
>either you or I can fix things.

I will do so, but won't be able to manage until next week. I'll be
back ;)

Greetings
Marc