Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Philip Hazel
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Marc Haber
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Marc Haber wrote:

> >No. That rule specifies to keep the message until the host has been down
> >for five days. It doesn't matter how long the message has been on the
> >queue. If the host has been down for 5 days, new messages will be
> >bounced immediately.
>
> What if a new host comes up? Is it considered being down indefinetely?

Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean by "a new host comes up". Do you mean
a new host is added to the MX? Any host will be considered down from the
time it first fails. (Roughly. There is a timeout on the retry data.)

> I see. So the bounces must have had some other reasons.

Unless there is some bug. Like any software, Exim has never been
entirely bug-free.

> But it did. And $CUSTOMER is not amused since my support colleagues
> assured them that their mail would be queued until their new MX is up
> and running.

I'm sorry about that.

> I will try the same thing with a test domain, hopefully giving results
> that can lead to a least learn what happened. I don't think that's a
> bug in exim, but I suspect that there is a problem with our
> configuration.

Please do run some tests. We need to know what happened here so that
either you or I can fix things.

Philip