RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem

Autor: Simon Barr
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem

> > Don't you sometimes really, really hate computers?
>
> Yes.

Good, glad its not just me!

> If this really is happening, it should do both! Remember, there are two
> instances of Exim involved here: the first is delivering the message,
> and the second is receiving it back again. The first should log a
> the delivery failure, and the second should log the incoming timeout.
>
> An obvious experiment: set smtp_receive_timeout = 4m and see if the
> intervals change to 4 minutes.

No mention of the timeout in the log. I'll try what you suggested too.

Rather than disable RBL checks as Glenn suggested I'm going to try
adjusting a couple of spamassassin timeouts and see how it behaves
then, namely

rbl_timeout n (default 30)
&
razor_timeout n (default 10)

I know the defaults are very low to start with but while I was trying
razor on its own I had problems with the razor servers being very
busy and slowing things down to a crawl. Maybe this is my problem.
I may even disable the razor lookups for now.

Strange that I've got more help from the Exim list than the SA one (like
zilch from SAtalk) and its looking more and more like SA thats at fault.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has offered help.

Simon Barr
Systems Engineer

Chelsing Assemblies Ltd
Tel: 01992 554-566