Re: SV: [Exim] how to send all mail from Exim through a mai…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Flemming Christensen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: SV: [Exim] how to send all mail from Exim through a mailsweeper ona different server ?
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Flemming Christensen wrote:

> Thanks for the help, I created the new router, but now it complains

about not being able to relay. Guess I have to read the documentation
again :)

If you give details of the router, and exactly where it complains about
not being able to relay, maybe the list can help you.

> Since you are the father of Exim I will take this opportinity to get this of my chest:

I am in a "no-win" situation here. If I just answer every query, I will
run out of hours in the day. The mailing list takes up a lot of time as
it is. So, I've created an FAQ and an O'Reilly book to try to give
people other sources of information. But some people just come to the
mailing list without knowing about them - so I feel obliged to point
them out from time to time. I'm obviously doing this too much, because
it's provoked two people this week already, and that is not what I want.

> The reason why I didn't find this in the FAQ was because I tried to

lookup "relay to". (my postfix background)

Yes, the problems of different terminology are not easy.

> Well, I guess I'm not clever enough to use Exim because I don't find the documenation and FAQ easy to search and understand.

You should not disparage yourself like that. It is the same with all new
technology. It takes time to learn the "culture". I started using
StarOffice for the first time last year (never having used any MicroSoft
products). It took me ages - and I had to buy the book. I couldn't do it
from just the online help. And all I wanted to do was to make slides...

> Why isn't there a basic description on how to use mysql in Exim and a

basic description on how to set up virtual domain/users with mysql ?

Because I am not an MySQL (or LDAP, or PostgreSQL, or NIS+, or NIS, or
Oracle, or...) user. Indeed, I'm not even a virtual domain user. It is
only recently that I discovered that "virtual domains" actually means
different things to different people. To me it is basically synonymous
with "alias list", but to other people it is "a domain with mailboxes on
this host, but the users don't have accounts".

What I do know I have written in the manual and in the FAQ and in the
O'Reilly book. Unfortunately, just at the moment the book is out of date
because it covers Exim 3. I have completed an update for Exim 4. It is
now up to O'Reilly to publish it.

> Please try to make room for us rookies and slow learners,

Everybody is a rookie at something, sometime. I have no problem with
that. But I do try to teach people how to fish rather than just giving
them the fish - sometimes maybe too forcefully.

Philip