Re: [Exim] Problems configuring Exim 4.10 routers.

Author: Joe Golden
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems configuring Exim 4.10 routers.
Phil wrote on 30 Jul 2002

Joe,

Looks like my suggestion that people on the list might answer hasn't
produced any public responses. Let me see if I can add anything to the
hasty message I sent you before the weekend.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 jgolden@??? wrote:

> Server A (exim MTA) Server B (UNIX mail host) and Server C
> (Lotus Notes).
> I want to set up Server A as my main MTA, receiving and
> transmitting mail from and to the outside world. Server A should
> then route to Server B for any UNIX local mailboxes, and Server C
> for other local mailboxes.

OK, so the first question is: How can server A tell whether a given
address has a UNIX local mailbox or not? Do the UNIX users have accounts
on server A? If so, you can use the check_local_user router option to
identify them. If the UNIX users do not have accounts on server A, then
you must consider how server A is to know which addresses correspond to
accounts on server B. The most efficient way would be for a list of
local parts to be regularly generated from the password data on server B
and passed to server A, and put into a cdb (or other indexed) file.
However, if you are using some kind of shared database (one of the SQL
ones, or LDAP) then maybe server A can interrogate this to check the
local parts. Exim has a lot of flexibility in the data it can consult.

The basic structure of the configuration on server A would be something
like this:

ROUTERS
-------

dnslookup:
<the standard dnslookup router to handle non-local domains>

# So now we know that any addresses arriving here are local

unix_users:
driver = accept
<the condition that tests for a UNIX user>
transport = to_server_b

lotus_users:
driver = accept
transport = to_server_c

TRANSPORTS
----------

to_server_b:
driver = smtp
hosts = server.b.host.name

to_server_c:
driver = smtp
hosts = server.c.host.name

One problem with this setup is that it won't reject unknown local
mailboxes, so you might get stuck with undeliverable stuff. If you can
test for valid Lotus users in the lotus_users router, you can avoid
this. Again, if you have everything in some database, that might be
possible.

HTH,
Philip

Philip,

OK, I can understand. Let me better explain. We are running NIS, with
server B as the master NIS server. I have exim setup to check aliases
from the NIS mail.aliases db. The aliases are set as this;
user@serverB
user@serverC
Now would it matter that they are all under domain kgo.csc.com? You see
we really have no distinction between the UNIX side and the Lotus notes
side, they fall under the one domain kgo.csc.com.
This setup when exim receives mail routed to user@???,
theoretically should call the NIS aliases and see where user is at,
if user@serverB then should route to Server B for local delivery.
if user@serverC then it should route to Server C for local delivery.
So in essence I should be able to use the condition for both routers and
that should fix my problem. Now would I still need the Hub_Route router
still in there to relay to Server C? I probably will be able to take the
Hub_Route out. My lotus_users router should suffice in this area.
Thanks for the update and will put it to test tomorrow.
I am taking today off.

--
Joseph T. Golden
Chief Technical Officer