Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Marc Haber
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] [exim 3.31] strange retry behavior
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:45:46 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
>> But every setup I have seen has a "*" retry rule, so it can always
>> find a retry rule for the host.
>
>No, as I said, it isn't quite like that. Let me quote the manual to you
>again:

Quoting what I have read, read and read doesn't help. There are
non-native speakers who don't have your command of your native
language and who sometimes happen to see a second way of interpreting
what you wrote with only one interpretation in mind.

>> Would failures to deliver to host p.q.r.example use the second rule
>> as well?
>
>No, because the first rule would match the domain.

OK, now I have understood.

But that does not explain what my exim is doing. Let's go back to my
original posting.

example.com is listed in relay_domains; there is no entry for
mx.otherprovider in any file.

Hence, I'd expect the following to happen:

- Mail for foo@??? comes in
- exim tries to deliver to mx.otherprovider. Doesn't succeed (timeout)
- exim queues the message
- on next delivery attempt, exim starts looking in the retry config
- look for mx.otherprovider in long_queue_domains. don't find it.
- look for example.com in long_queue_Domains. don't find it either.
- look for mx.otherprovider in relay_domains. don't find it.
- look for example.com in relay_domains. Find it.
- use queue settings F,2h,15m; F,5d,2h, specifying to keep the message
for five days.

That does not explain why exim started bouncing messages after 38
hours.

Sorry for being so stupid, but I am really confused.

Greetings
Marc