Re: [Exim] "unqualified sender rejected" - explanation neede…

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: A. Schirmacher
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "unqualified sender rejected" - explanation needed
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 07:30:06PM +0200,
A. Schirmacher <nn4l@???> is thought to have said:

> Sometimes I get these error messages in rejectlog:
>
> 2002-07-29 07:57:09 unqualified sender rejected:
> <intranet> H=mail.somedomain.de (mail.dpl.net)
> [195.27.64.10] (qmailr)
>
> I would like to help the sysadmin of that mail server
> fixing his box, but I have no idea what might be the
> reason for these error messages. Please explain what
> happened when exim writes this error message.

It means that the remote site sent a MAIL FROM that looks like:

MAIL FROM:<intranet>

in the SMTP session rather than:

MAIL FROM:<intranet@???>

Tell them to fix whatever client injected that message to use a fully
qualified domain name (FQDN) or have their mail server qualified an
unqualified name before sending the message along.

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality