Re: [Exim] strange uid/gid problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Powers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] strange uid/gid problem
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, David Powers wrote:

> I am trying to run my exim as a user other than root (as recommended) and

Which release? (But I can see from your config that it must be Exim 4.)
What exactly do you mean by "run my exim as a user other than root"? In
Exim 4 you have to supply a user for Exim to use when it knows it can
give up root, but in normal configurations, the binary still has to be
setuid root. What is the output from "ls -l /path/to/exim"?

> Any ideas how I can run under a non-root uid/gid and still get filters that
> run under the appropriate uid/gid's? My understanding on reading the manual
> was that this should be possible (this initial routing should run under root
> regardless) but it doesn't seem to be the case with the filter routers.

Assuming you do have a normal configuration (setuid root), try running a
delivery test with the -d option, to get debugging output on stderr.
That might give some clue. If you can't understand the output (it will
be quite long), post it or send it to me.

Philip