Re: [Exim] SMTP Auth on Freebsd - Not possible do to permiss…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tamas TEVESZ
To: Derrick
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] SMTP Auth on Freebsd - Not possible do to permissions?
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Derrick wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that SMTP Auth is not doable on FreeBSD because
> /etc/master.passwd is rw only for root.wheel..

no.

> Is it possible to create a
> script to dump the password field out of the master.passwd field into
> either the /etc/passwd file? or cut the username and passwords out of
> master.passwd into a new file?

probably, but you don't need to take such a complicated route, you
could just simply shoot yourself on the foot.

> Am I missing something dramatically here,

very definitely. what you're missing is that the system databases are
not the only source for smtp auth. practically anything else from
(other) flat files to ldap databases can be used to store
authentication info.

if you definitely want to stick to the system account db, first
consider what implications will it have on your system's security (to
be exact, you *will* be transmitting your passwords in clear over the
net [unless you use ssl that is]), then you could give the linux
pam_exim (url in archives and freshmeat) a try/porting session to
freebsd.

> have been diggin through the archives, and this seems to be what I'm
> seeing, or at least it's the most common answer I have come across.

for a slightly different question, yes.

--
[-]