Re: [Exim] Pipe Transport + SpamAssassin = Double Exim Proce…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Pipe Transport + SpamAssassin = Double Exim Processes
Subject: Re: [Exim] Pipe Transport + SpamAssassin = Double Exim Processes. Solution?
On 24 Jul 2002, John Horne wrote:

> > So, is using a pipe transport our only option? Is there no way to run
> > "spamc -c" from Exim, and use that exit code to make a delivery
> > determination? It'd be great to see something like:

Remember that a message may have many recipients. You certainly don't
want to run it through a spam checker for each of them.

The original poster mentioned an opt-in system. Therefore, you may have
a single message, some of whose recipients require the checking, and
some not.

You could use a router to select those recipients for which you want
checking, and then set batch_max on the transport to send a single copy
to the checker via a pipe. However, that does require a double pass
through Exim.

The best way of doing this is surely to run the checker once per
message, using the local_scan() interface, and use it to add headers to
the message. These can then be used subsequently, in filters or in
routers, to do different things for different recipients.