Re: [Exim] Exim4: allow_defer/fail but not blackhole

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim4: allow_defer/fail but not blackhole
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, John Horne wrote:

> I've been trying to think why by default defer and fail are not allowed, but
> blackhole is allowed in a redirect router. I can only think this stems from
> Exim 3 when blackhole was introduced and potentially could be used in
> /etc/aliases instead of /dev/null? I think would rather have all three
> disabled by default :-)

Defer isn't allowed because you don't want ordinary users to be able to
use it. At least, that's my judgement. Fail, I guess, is marginal. It
probably does no harm for ordinary users to be able to use it, as indeed
:blackhole: does no harm.

But it's too late to make incompatible changes now. I promised. So is it
worth actually making any change at all?