RE: [Exim] smarthost, AUTH and different identities

Author: Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] smarthost, AUTH and different identities
Hello,

Philip Hazel wrote:

> >  1) Why does it work for one user, and not for any other?
> >     It works for a local user, whose identity is the same as
> >     the identity as registered at the ISP I use for sending mail.

> Can't answer that because I don't have enough details.

Yes, I know I had not given enough details - mainly because I do
not have it myself.
Is there any debug setting, which tells me, what exim will send
to my ISP's mail server?

> >  2) How would I configure a correct domain if I dial-in using
> >     different ISP's depending on the time of day?

> You'd have to use the return_path setting on the router to change the
> envelope sender appropriately. This could be done with a sufficiently
> clever expansion string.

Okay, I'll check this out.

> >  3) How can I make exim omit the AUTH or sender strings? Or how
> >     can I set it to the registered user?

> I don't think AUTH is your problem. I think it's the actual envelope
> sender address.

The log file said, the ISP's mail server was complaining about the
domain in the AUTH part. Maybe it checks the domain because the
local part is not equal to the registered users name.
Well, I have no idea - and I think the ISP will not officially
support Linux - only Outlook a.s.o. :-(

Thank you so far (now I know who ph10 is [1] :-)

Ulf

[1] to whom spec.txt is referring